After using Google docs during my graduate class last summer I realized how easy it would be to use this with students. I decided to try Google docs with a 5th grade class to peer review their classmates' writing pieces.
We used the Google account I created for my school and students were able to upload their writing pieces they had written in their classroom. Once students had uploaded their writing pieces, we were able to create a link where students could access the work and peer review their classmates' work without logging into a Google account of their own. Students were assigned to peer review two different writing pieces for students in their class. I showed students how they could use the "comment" feature to identify and changes they thought should be made to the document. By using this feature they would not have to alter the student's current work. They were also able to use this feature to give praise or suggestions to the student.
Below is a picture of one of the student's peer reviewed writing pieces.
I think using Google docs to peer review student work is working really well. After students used the created link to view and edit student work, we then changed the link to allow access to only read the documents. By using this link we are going to be able to share the writing pieces with parents, teachers, or others that do not even have a Google account.
The link below will allow you to view one of the peer reviewed writing pieces.
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1pvU3GkAa0OG_WXxWnSOxDzdSRu1vSBVg87lWhSrRvUM&hl=en&pli=1#
I am hoping to get teachers involved in using Google docs for student writing pieces as well as things like science fair. Students have deadlines for different parts of their science fair projects like question and hypothesis, procedure, data tables, etc. Right now teachers have students turn in a hard copy of each of these items, they make comments on the paper, and then return the papers back to students for revision. If we could use Google docs as an option for students to get feedback on their science fair projects, I believe it would save a lot of time and make things a little easier for both teachers and students.
16 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment